Monday, February 4, 2008

Yet another solo ride to Junnar area...

so, I was off again to yet another solo ride with my pulser 150...the date was decided as 26 Jan 08, Republic day… but I was very much confused about the route.

I was considering several possibilities such as Pune-Malshej ghat-Karjat-Lonavala and back or Pune-Mulashi-Raigad-Warandha and back. on Friday night I was going through map and some other travel related stuff, from travel edition of Saptahik Sakal and Milind Gunaji's book about 'Bhatakanti' I found many interesting places around Junnar like Bhimashankar, Shivneri, Pur (Kukdeshwar temple), Naneghat, ahupe ghat etc.

I decided to cover some of them, as many as possible…



I left home at 6:30 AM for Pune-Nashik highway (NH 50), right turn at Chinchwad on Pune-Mumbai (NH4). The highway is 4 lane with divider till Rajgurunagar, but be aware of busses and trucks (of course 2 wheelers) coming from wrong side (Jai hind, Jai Maharashtra, Jai chaos!!!)

My first destination was Bhimashankar. There are roads from Rajgurunagar as well as Manchar (both on NH50), while going I went by Rajgurunagar-Wada-Bhimashankar road, it’s a small road not much traffic, last patch in very bad condition. But I won’t say ‘don’t go by this road’ J, The Chakan-Ghodgaon-Bhimashankar road is wider (people prefer this road, so you can imagine the traffic). This road is currently under repair and it seams that the authorities forgot to finish the half of the tar road… (not surprising for someone form Pune)

I reached Bhimashankar at 9 AM. Saw the temple, didn’t liked the commercialization of temple so left from there after breakfast. On the way back, I was lucky to spot a Giant squirrel (commonly know as "Shekhru" and is a state animal of Maharashtra) on the road side tree. Tried to take a snap…


Further, I noticed a road to Ahupe (a pass called ‘Ahupe ghat’ is famous among trekkers) and thought of trying it. The road condition is bad but you won’t notice it as first 6 KM patch goes through lush green forest.



It was a scary feeling to ride in such a dense forest alone, but soon the forest patch was over and there was a small village and some farmland. The so called ‘tar road’ was ending there and further was ‘kachha’ road. Being alone, I returned from this point, but might be good idea to go ahead if got company.

Then next destination was Junnar, for that I have to go via Ghodgaon. On this road there is a dam and you can see a big white building on top of isolated mountain.



It turned out to be IUCAA Girawali Observatory. There is a diversion from Ghodgao-Junnar road. I know I won’t be permitted in but due to my strong interest in Astronomy I decided to take a chance. The 6 km road up the hill is a bit difficult but I enjoyed it very much. Then as expected I was not let in. I only took the ‘darshan’ of the observatory from outside! Wow, what a sacred place!!! I my opinion this is more ‘jagrut’ location for reaching the heavens than the ‘Bhimashankar’ or any other temple…

I reached junnar at 2 PM had a nice lunch. Then from junnar I was planning to go to Pur village but as I went further, the road condition got worse, so decided not to go there instead went to Shivneri.


For any of you who don’t know, Shivneri Fort a historic military fortification. It is known as the birthplace of Shivaji Maharaj, who would go on not only to rule Maharashtra but to found the Maratha Empire. Shivneri is a highly defensible location, with steep rocks on four sides and a strongly-built citadel. Shivaji Maharaj was born at the fort on 19 February 1630.

Inside the fort is a small temple of goddess Shivai Devi (with BIG loud speakers), after whom Shivaji Maharaja was named. There are also statues of Jijabai and young Shivaji Maharaja (Locked inside a large hall). And there is one building in which Shivaji Maharaja was born.

I thought of leaving for Pune after sunset so went around the fort for a while.
Being national holiday, the fort was crowded. There were a bunch of people loudly uttering nonsense remarks (about themselves each other’s families and even about Shivaji Maharaja). It was all very depressing and bought the same questions in my mind, if they don’t have any respect about Shivaji Maharaja then why the hell they bother coming to forts such as Shivneri? I am sure that these are the same people who are ready to trash public property, stage ‘bandh’ in case some one supposedly said something bad about Shivaji Maharaja.

I was thankful that I wasn’t there with my family… one can understand the meaning of ‘cultured’ when one sees these nonsense people.

So, left the fort with some sadness. Followed Junnar-Narayangaon-NH50 back to Pune. Reached home at 0930 PM.

There are still many places to see in same area, like, Lenyadri (Ganesh temple), Kukadeshwar temple, Nane ghat, Malshej ghat. Will cover then in next trip…

4 comments:

Tushar Gaikwad said...

Hi Sam,

I had been in junnar for two days. It is really a nice place. I enjoyed two days at the base of Shivneri. I can not for get the taste of the water in underground tanks which was very cool and tasty.
There is a reason that statues of Shivaji and Jijai are kept in a locker. I dont want to reveal that.
It is better to go in rainy as there are lot of rainfalls. I expect you not to dare on Bike as roads are very slippery.
sam, one more thing I have brought Sony dsc H7 camera. Its amazing (thats what I feel) Configuration is 8MP and 15 X opt zoom. Also Shutter and aperture can be manuaaly adjustable. I will show you when you will got some time.

- Tushar

Unknown said...

Good one bro. Keep it up. Nice read.

Vibhu Rishi said...

nice post. And great sigting of the Malabar Giant Squirrel !

Harshad said...

Nice riding and nice writeup!

Keep Riding!

Harshad
BikeNomad